San Diego Mosque Shooting Leaves Five Dead as Community Mourns Heroic Security Guard

Bondi Beach Shooting person holding candle light in darkness

A deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday has left the San Diego community in shock after authorities confirmed five people died, including two teenage suspects and a mosque security guard, who is now being remembered as a hero.

According to the San Diego Police Department, officers responded around 11:30 a.m. to reports of an active shooter at the mosque and school campus located in the Clairemont neighborhood. By early afternoon, police said the threat had been “neutralized.”

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed during a press conference that three adult victims associated with the Islamic Center were killed. Authorities later confirmed the two suspects — ages 17 and 19 — were also found dead nearby from what investigators believe were self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Police have not yet publicly identified a motive.

Mosque Shooting: Security Guard Hailed as Hero After Deadly Attack

Black and white image of police officers in riot gear, standing on a street. One officer faces away, with "Police" on his back. Urban setting, tense mood.
Image of police, courtesy of Photo by ev on Unsplash

As details emerged, attention quickly turned toward the actions of a security guard credited with helping save lives during the chaos. Community members identified the guard as Amin Abdullah, though police have not formally confirmed the name publicly.

Authorities did confirm that a mosque security guard was among those killed and described his actions as critical during the response. “A mosque security guard played a pivotal role in assisting,” officials said during the briefing. “This could have been worse.”

Tributes poured across social media Monday evening as friends and community members mourned Abdullah. “The nicest man you’ll ever meet,” one person wrote online. Others described him as a selfless protector who rushed toward danger to help others escape. Officials said between 50 and 100 law enforcement officers entered the Islamic Center complex during the emergency response, clearing classrooms, prayer spaces, and surrounding buildings.

Massive Police Response Shut Down Nearby Area

The scale of the law enforcement response was enormous. Chief Wahl described it as one of the most significant coordinated emergency operations he had witnessed in nearly three decades of policing. “In 28 years, this is the most dynamic and impressive response I’ve seen,” Wahl said, crediting agencies across San Diego County for assisting.

Authorities temporarily shut down portions of Interstate 805 near Balboa Avenue as officers secured the area and searched for additional threats. Nearby schools within the San Diego Unified School District were also placed under lockdown as a precaution.

School officials later confirmed the lockdowns were gradually lifted once police determined the threat had ended. A reunification center for families affected by the incident was established nearby on Hathaway Street.

Islamic Center Leaders Speak Out

Religious leaders at the Islamic Center addressed the public during an emotional press conference hours after the shooting. Imam Taha Hassane said the tragedy devastated the entire community. “This is something we never expected,” Hassane said. He also thanked supporters from across the country and overseas who reached out with condolences and prayers following the attack.

The mosque is the largest Islamic center in San Diego County and serves as both a place of worship and an educational center for local families. The attack immediately sparked broader conversations surrounding safety at religious institutions across the United States.

Officials Promise Full Investigation

Todd Gloria joined law enforcement leaders at the scene and promised the city would continue supporting the affected community. “We will do anything it takes to make sure you feel safe in this city,” Gloria said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations San Diego chapter also condemned the attack, calling it a horrifying act of violence. “No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” the organization said in a statement. Investigators have not yet said whether the shooting is being investigated as a hate crime, though authorities acknowledged the inquiry remains active and ongoing.

A Community Left Grieving

For now, San Diego remains focused on mourning the victims and supporting families shattered by the violence. What began as an ordinary Monday at one of Southern California’s most prominent Islamic centers quickly transformed into a devastating tragedy that has shaken the entire region. And amid the grief, many in the community are choosing to remember one figure in particular: A security guard who, according to those who knew him, gave his life trying to protect others.

FAQ Section

What happened at the Islamic Center of San Diego?

A shooting occurred Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont, leaving five people dead, including two suspects.

How many people died in the San Diego mosque shooting?

Authorities confirmed five deaths: three adult victims associated with the Islamic Center and two teenage suspects.

Who were the suspects?

Police said the suspects were 17 and 19 years old. Their identities have not yet been publicly released.

Was the shooting motive identified?

No. Investigators said the motive remains unknown and the investigation is ongoing.

Who was the security guard being called a hero?

Community members identified the guard as Amin Abdullah, though police have not formally confirmed his identity publicly.